November 28, 1914 -- The completion of Sheridan Road is celebrated as members of the Sheridan Road Improvement Association start from the Congress Hotel and drive the new road to Highland Park, where they join with the Highland Park Business Men’s Club. The end of the road is at Forest Avenue in Highland Park, and from a raised platform at that point Highland Park Mayor F. P. Hawkins officially opens the road to the public. W. G. Edens, the chairman of the Illinois Good Roads Committee, then accepts the new road. The dignitaries then proceed to the Moraine Hotel where they enjoy a luncheon. Plans are to extend the road to the Wisconsin border in the coming years. The statue of General Phillip Sheridan, pictured above, stands at the intersection of Belmont and Sheridan, about a half-mile north of the point where Sheridan Road begins.