July 23, 1897 – Five thousand invitees come to the Art Institute of Chicago to honor the sculptor August St. Gaudens and the widow of General John A. Logan. “For nearly two hours,” the Chicago Daily Tribune reports, “the throng filed in and out of the room known as the Henry Field gallery, where they were greeted by Mrs. Logan, Mr. St. Gaudens, and the members of the receiving party. Charles H. Hutchinson, President of the Art Institute, stood at the head of the line, introducing the guests to Mrs. Logan, who offered her hand to each in a hearty grasp. Scores of times during the evening did Mrs. Logan demonstrate her rare faculty for remembering the names and faces of those whom she had met only casually before.” [Chicago Daily Tribune, July 24, 1897] The event is held just two days after the widow of the great Civil War general arrives in the city from New York for the dedication of her husband’s statue in Grant Park. The sculptor, August St. Gaudens, spends the evening of the Art Institute reception in humility. The Tribune reports that he “stood almost at the end of the line of those receiving the guests. He who was most talked of among the thousands who thronged the galleries and promenaded the corridors, who was the cynosure of all eyes, was in mien and bearing the most unassuming man in the entire assemblage. With quiet dignity he received the congratulations that were showered upon him, his clear, keen eyes lighting up now and again as some artist friend added a word of appreciative criticism to his friendly greeting and congratulation.” For more information on the Logan statue you can turn to this link in Connecting the Windy City.
July 23, 1925 – Chicago’s new Union Station is formally opened at 11:30 a. m. The ceremonies begin with Mayor William Dever and other officials touring the structure that covers 35 acres just west of the river between Adams Street and Jackson Boulevard. After the tour is completed the guests are entertained at a luncheon served in the terminal's Fred Harvey restaurant. The waiting rooms are finished in marble and cover an expanse as large as three baseball diamonds. The terminal includes a jail for prisoners in transit, a hospital and a chapel. Graham, Anderson, Probst and White are the architects of the complex. The photo above shows the massive terminal as it appeared when it opened in 1925.