January 8, 1917 – The Chicago Police Chief, Charles C. Healey, is arrested at his home by representatives of Cook County State’s Attorney Maclay Hoyne and accused of leading a ring of corruption that may have brought in “thousands of dollars yearly.” [Chicago Daily Tribune, January 8, 1917] Judge Sheridan E. Fry fixes Healey’s bond at $100,000 as Healey is charged with conspiracy, extortion and bribery. Hoyne states, “We began with the reports that patrolmen were being advanced to sergeants for a fee. We discovered that a patrolman who ‘came acros with $500 would be promoted … The same rule applied to officers. The price for the promotion of a sergeant to lieutenant was sometimes as high as $1,000.” The graft did not end there. Every Monday four men, including Lieutenant Martin White, the commander of the Lake Street police station, would meet in room 1209 at 109 North Dearborn Street “to divide the collections … They didn’t trust each other, and it was decided to be safest for all to be on hand, so that the others might know how much had been collected and just what the division would be.” When investigators raided the room, a notebook was found on White, the notebook containing “a complete list of all shady hotels, disorderly houses, and gambling resorts” and the amounts each joint paid for protection. Healy is sitting down to dinner in the family’[s third floor apartment when investigators break up the meal even though they have no warrants for his arrest. Healy orders them out and calls the Woodlawn station to secure some protection, quickly obtaining several “big, powerful men” who eject the investigators “with more speed than dignity.” Within 15 minutes the warrants are obtained, and the Chief of Police finds himself under arrest. The Chief Is pictured above.
January 8, 1954 – Another big sale of real estate in the Loop occurs, this one the Cable Building, a ten-story Holabird and Roche design at 57 East Jackson. B. B. Provus, the vice-president of American Glass Company is the trustee whose name is on the transaction, one made for the Provus estate. Provus said that the estate plans to remodel the building into shops. That worked for a time. By 1962, though, a new mid-century modern skyscraper designed by C. F. Murphy replaces the building. The Cable building was a beautiful piece of architecture. Fotunately, the building that replaced it is an impressive design as well.
January 8, 1980 - It is reported that the Illinois Appellate Court in Chicago has upheld the city's acquisition of the Sherman House Hotel under eminent domain rights. Citing the argument that only eight percent of the building's commercial space was being utilized, the court found that the city's intent "to rid the Loop of a blighted area" was valid. The city had previously agreed to pay the Teamsters' Union Pension Fund $11.2 million for the property. Chicago subsequently gave the block on which the hotel stood to the state, and the James Thompson Center was competed on the site five years later. For a history of the Sherman House see http://www.connectingthewindycity.com/…/down-they-forgot-as…
Post a Comment