Saturday, January 7, 2017

January 7, 1955 -- Art Institute Heads to Court

January 7, 1955 – The Art Institute of Chicago goes to Circuit Court seeking to change the definition of a word – monument.  In 1905 a wealthy Chicago lumber man, Benjamin Ferguson died, with his will providing for a million-dollar trust fund to be used to beautify the city’s parks with monuments.  In the ensuing fifty years the original trust fund has generated a million dollars in interest income, and the institute wants to use the money to construct an addition that would stand just north of the original 1893 building, fronting on Monroe Street.  The Art Institute has already filed a suit similar to this one back in 1933, but because the plans for the building have changed as well as its location it’s back to court again for the art folks and their legal representatives.  The suit that the Art Institute files names the attorney general of Illinois, Latham Castle, as the defendant.  Castle is the member of the fund’s trustees representing the public.

Also on this date from an earlier blog . . .

January 7, 1929 -- With the application for the necessary construction permits pending in the war department, the U. S. Senate and the House of Representatives pass identical bills granting consent to the Lincoln and South Park Boards to build an outer drive link bridge at the mouth of the Chicago River. It would be close to a decade before the Lake Shore Drive bridge would be completed, but the process had begun. Look just to the left of the west end of Navy Pier in the photo below and you can see what the shoreline at the mouth of the river looked like before the Roosevelt Bridge was completed in 1938.

1 comment:

Baron Corvo said...

The Outer Drive Bridge was dedicated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt on October 5, 1937.

The bridge was never known as "the Roosevelt Bridge."