November 30, 1951 – At a meeting of the Irish Fellowship Club of Chicago at the Morrison Hotel proposals are put forth to bring the only Nazi submarine ever captured at sea to Chicago. The plans have the United States Navy towing the U-505 from Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where it is anchored, to Chicago, where it will be placed on a foundation near Buckingham Fountain. Jack Foster, a naval reserve officer, tells the crowd that a Chicagoan, Admiral Dan Gallery, commanded the anti-submarine task force that captured the German U-boat and its top-secret codes and that makes Chicago the appropriate final resting place for the captured sub. The head of the Irish Fellowship Club, Dunne Corboy, appoints an engineering consultant to head a committee that will study the proposal. The new effort comes after the Science Museum in Hyde Park gives up its efforts, citing the prohibitive costs involved in the operation. The U-505 finally comes to Chicago in September of 1954, as a result of a renewed effort on the part of the museum. The photo above shows the U-boat just east of Michigan Avenue as it arrived it the city in 1954.