December 12, 1943 – With United States war production at full throttle the Chicago Daily Tribune announces that the Illinois Institute of Technology has developed the “mightiest program in its history and a record of having become the busiest as well as the biggest engineering college in the country.” [Chicago Daily Tribune, December 12, 1943] The school is running a twelve-month calendar with three 16-week terms with holidays except Christmas eliminated from the schedule. Classes begin at 7:30 a.m. and continue until 5:20 p.m. The grueling schedule turns out certified engineers in 30 months. “Frills in college life have been discarded,” the paper writes. “Graduation ceremonies cut to the minimum as senior classes increase in number, and, if four weeks of the year were not the absolute smallest amount of time needed for registration and administrative work, college officials say these weeks would be utilized for classes.” The school is spread out across the city with classes taking place in 27 separate war plants. Classes are also being held at the John Marshall Law School, George Williams College, the Civic Opera Building, and 333 North Michigan Avenue. Since the United States entered the war in December of 1941, 34,256 students have been enrolled in courses at the school with the enrollment standing at 4,665 as the year comes to an end.