July 1, 1940 – The 440-foot nautical-themed beach house at North Avenue Beach opens. The facility has 14 showerss and 1,440 baskets that allow men and women to check personal effects while heading for the beach. In order to give the “ship” a credible lake-worthy appearance the art deco structure is equipped with a crow’s nest, booms, yard arms, lanterns, portholes and flags. The North Avenue Beach was completed as part of a $1,250,000 Works Progress Administration project, completed in 1939, that added 875,000 square feet of new parkland that extended north to Fullerton Avenue with a new overpass at North Avenue. The beach house is a design by architect Emanuel V. Buchsbaum. It was replaced in 2000 years by a new facility with 22,000 square feet of space. The above photo shows the beach house as it appears today.