Saturday, August 13, 2016

August 13, 1928 -- Work begins on the Merchandise Mart

August 13, 1928 – Construction begins on the Merchandise Mart on the site of the old Chicago and North Western station on the north bank of the Chicago River between Wells Street and Orleans.  A force of 5,700 workers will speed the construction, using cement brought from Wisconsin by boat, and by May 1, 1930 the first 200 tenants will begin moving into the 4,000,000 square foot building.

No comments: