October 20, 1900 – Progress Lighting the Way for Commerce, a statue over 21 feet in height, is lowered into place on top of the Montgomery Ward headquarters at 6 North Michigan Avenue. It is not intended merely to sit atop the building; it will function as a weather vane that “obeys every change of the wind.” [Chicago Daily Tribune, October 21, 1900] Richard Schmidt, the architect who designed the building, oversees the placement of the statue. The figure is that of a young woman who holds a flaming torch in her right hand and a caduceus, or a short staff intertwined with two snakes, in her left. In Roman mythology Mercury, who was the messenger of the gods, and the protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars and thieves, is often seen carrying a caduceus in his left hand. Scottish-American sculptor John Massey Rhind was the artist who created the piece. The statue was taken down in 1947 and cut into nearly three-dozen pieces. Some of those pieces probably still sit in parlors all over the city.