October 28, 1928 -- With the 1927 winner of the Nobel Prize, Professor Arthur Holly Compton, in the lead, a procession of 300 University of Chicago faculty members in their academic robes lead a procession into the university’s new Rockefeller Chapel for its dedication service. Last in the procession is the Acting President of the university, Frederic Woodward and John D. Rockefeller, Jr., son of the benefactor who made the construction of the chapel possible. As the procession enters the church a 150-voice choir sings O God Our Help in Ages Past. During the service of dedication the Reverend Charles W. Gilkey is installed as Dean of the Chapel. Gilkey concludes his short address by saying of the chapel, “It must not be a stone rolled from the ancient hillside, while the stream of life of this university goes around it. It must be a channel through which that stream may flow, giving it new life and force.” Rockefeller, Jr., on behalf of his father, addresses the assemblage, saying, “True religion means an abiding faith in God and our fellow man. May this chapel help all who cross its threshold to lay hold upon so priceless a possession. And may there be centered here a religion of activity and service as well as a religion of contemplation and faith.” For an in-depth at this special day and the generosity that made it possible, please head here.