March 15, 1937 – The last street car to run over the lake shore tracks between Chicago Avenue and Ohio Street reaches the entrance of Navy Pier at 1:23 a.m. A few hours later workers begin to tear up the tracks. Discontinuation of the service comes as a result of an order of the Illinois Commerce Commission, an order that the transit lines do not appeal. As soon as the tracks are removed construction will begin on the new approaches to the outer drive bridge across the river, according to the president of the park district, Robert J. Dunham. The 1921 photo above shows the convenience of public transportation to Navy Pier that the lake shore line provided.
March 15, 1954 -- The Chicago Sanitary District announces that it will build a four-story office building on the site of the former Cyrus Hall McCormick mansion on the northeast corner of Rush and Erie Streets. The property, for which the district pays $212,000, is the site of an 1870's mansion that the "reaper king," Cyrus Hall McCormick, built and which was later occupied by his son, Harold McCormick, who served as the head of International Harvester until his death.